Small steps...Taiwan journey

Small steps...Taiwan journey

Welcome!

This is the story of our lives, especially concerning adopting 3 siblings from Taiwan.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bye Tom and Emma

So, there have been pending decisions about travel and such with these adoption delays. We fasted on Sunday and rehashed all of the details. There are factors like visas expiring after 30 days and kids passports 6 months from expiring (which is the deadline here) and do we leave Taiwan for a few days and go to Hong Kong, buying us 30 more days or will we end up having to pay penalties anyway if things don’t move along. Too much information, I know.
But, we also realized that youth conference for Emma is 3 weeks away, Tom is off payroll and maybe they should go on home instead of mucho dinero on change fees and penalties blah blah blah. Not having heard anything specific, we figure we’re at least 2-3 weeks out (and that’s being optimistic), so Tom and Emma go home today. It feels like the right thing to do based on the information we have at present. But…it was also sad.
I think I let it all out when Lucy left the school tonight. We know her well and she has just loved Emma. Because Emma and Tom went to Taipei today, she wasn’t there when Lucy left, meaning she wouldn’t get to say goodbye. We’ve seen her most days from 12:30 until dinnertime, gone swimming weekly and on the playground too. This afternoon, she gave us a little gift of porcelain shoes, not realizing that half the family was leaving tonight. I think I cried for more than just Lucy…it was for Emma and her goodness and for having our other half head home a little prematurely.
I count on Emma for stability and being agreeable and positive in practically every situation.
I count on Tom for lots of decision making-for splitting the labor-buying train tickets that get us to where we need to go, finding our way to hither and yon, taking pictures of everything so that we will always have a record of this story. What will we do without them?? Unfortunately, there's not too much time to belabor it since Sam and I are staying and need to deal with visa stuff.
The first thing we do is buy tickets to Hong Kong for a few days, so that we don’t overstay our visa. Leaving and coming back buys us another 30 days, and while people say the $$ penalties aren’t a big deal, it felt like maybe we’d want to err on the side of caution with immigration here.
I am laying my hope in a bigger picture…a perspective that maybe I can’t see right now, but Heavenly Father can. He knows our situation and what lies ahead. Can I trust that and remain calm and at peace? End of story: we stopped at Lucy’s home on the way to the airport and were able to say goodbye.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I'm sorry you all must split for awhile. That has got to be hard. We are praying for you from here and hoping that all will progress quickly. Keep the faith, you're doing awesome!

    Heidi Asay

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! You are so brave, Michelle! I can't imagine how hard it will be to be apart, but I know Heavenly Father will take care of you. I will keep your sweet family in my prayers. Dave served in Hong Kong and LOVED it. I think you & Sam will do great there. Hugs and kisses!! Wendy

    ReplyDelete