Small steps...Taiwan journey

Small steps...Taiwan journey

Welcome!

This is the story of our lives, especially concerning adopting 3 siblings from Taiwan.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

how will you measure your life?

This is something that has been percolating in my mind over a period of time. Conversations with complete strangers on the train to here and there has brought it back to me again and again...the reasons we chose to adopt...the feelings I have about parenting and family and what it means in the larger picture of life.


I read How Will You Measure Your Life? by Clayton Christensen on the way back from my overnight stay in Hong Kong (the visa hop)and he reiterated what I already feel and believe. There are things that matter most...and do our actions and time reflect what matters most to us?


I met an obviously well-educated affluent Taiwanese couple who had lived in Australia for 40 years and we talked about why we were in Taiwan...adoption...same conversation with numerous others-a computer science professor on the train to Taichung, various parents, strangers and friends alike and the universal refrain tends to be, "Raising a child is so expensive." And I am sure there are other opinions about why having a child (or more than one) is something to be deeply hesitant and cautious about...opinions that align with beliefs and perspectives about priorities.
source: http://djcadchina.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/one-child-policy-in-china-past-present-and-future/

The bottom line for me is a DEEP gratitude for an understanding of how important family is. I know that parenting, however challenging or time consuming (or satisfying for that matter) is a central part of Heavenly Father's plan. Children need love and time and the opportunity to thrive and that does mean sacrifice on the part of those who raise them. That is the bottom line, and I can't imagine choosing other than this.



(this picture was added after we all came home from Taiwan...all five!!)

1 comment:

  1. Adorable. Just hopped over from MMB. I work as a doctor and meet so many sad people who have no loving families. You are providing each of those beautiful kids with the thing they need the most, a family, a future and an understanding of who they are and where they are going. It truly is sad when having a child simply is a matter of finances.

    ReplyDelete